Nursery & Greenhouse Managers
Description : Plan, organize, direct, control, and coordinate activities of workers engaged in propagating, cultivating, and harvesting horticultural specialties, such as trees, shrubs, flowers, mushrooms, and other plants.
JobTitles : Production Manager, Nursery Manager, Greenhouse Manager, Grower, Propagation Manager, Farm Manager, Garden Center Manager, Harvesting Manager, Horticulturist, Perennial House Manager
- Manage nurseries that grow horticultural plants for sale to trade or retail customers, for display or exhibition, or for research.
- Identify plants as well as problems such as diseases, weeds, and insect pests.
- Tour work areas to observe work being done, to inspect crops, and to evaluate plant and soil conditions.
- Assign work schedules and duties to nursery or greenhouse staff, and supervise their work.
- Determine plant growing conditions, such as greenhouses, hydroponics, or natural settings, and set planting and care schedules.
- Apply pesticides and fertilizers to plants.
- Hire employees, and train them in gardening techniques.
- Select and purchase seeds, plant nutrients, disease control chemicals, and garden and lawn care equipment.
- Determine types and quantities of horticultural plants to be grown, based on budgets, projected sales volumes, or executive directives.
- Explain and enforce safety regulations and policies.