Description : Prepare customs documentation and ensure that shipments meet all applicable laws to facilitate the import and export of goods. Determine and track duties and taxes payable and process payments on behalf of client. Sign documents under a power of attorney. Represent clients in meetings with customs officials and apply for duty refunds and tariff reclassifications. Coordinate transportation and storage of imported goods.
JobTitles : Customs Broker, Import Manager, Customs Compliance Director
- Classify goods according to tariff coding system.
- Prepare and process import and export documentation according to customs regulations, laws, or procedures.
- Pay, or arrange for payment of, taxes and duties on shipments.
- Sign documents on behalf of clients, using powers of attorney.
- Clear goods through customs and to their destinations for clients.
- Calculate duty and tariff payments owed on shipments.
- Stay abreast of changes in import or export laws or regulations by reading current literature, attending meetings or conferences, or conferring with colleagues.
- Request or compile necessary import documentation, such as customs invoices, certificates of origin, and cargo-control documents.
- Advise customers on import and export restrictions, tariff systems, insurance requirements, quotas, or other customs-related matters.
- Monitor or trace the location of goods.