Description : Appraise real and personal property to determine its fair value. May assess taxes in accordance with prescribed schedules.
JobTitles : Appraiser, Assessor, Residential Appraiser, Commercial Appraiser, Deputy Assessor, Tax Assessor, Personal Property Appraiser, County Assessor, Real Property Appraiser, Field Appraiser
- Determine taxability and value of properties, using methods such as field inspection, structural measurement, calculation, sales analysis, market trend studies, and income and expense analysis.
- Inspect properties, considering factors such as market value, location, and building or replacement costs to determine appraisal value.
- Explain assessed values to property owners and defend appealed assessments at public hearings.
- Prepare and maintain current data on each parcel assessed, including maps of boundaries, inventories of land and structures, property characteristics, and any applicable exemptions.
- Establish uniform and equitable systems for assessing all classes and kinds of property.
- Inspect new construction and major improvements to existing structures to determine values.
- Write and submit appraisal and tax reports for public record.
- Complete and maintain assessment rolls that show the assessed values and status of all property in a municipality.
- Analyze trends in sales prices, construction costs, and rents, to assess property values or determine the accuracy of assessments.
- Review information about transfers of property to ensure its accuracy, checking basic information on buyers, sellers, and sales prices and making corrections as necessary.