Description : Develop usable, tangible products, using knowledge of biology, chemistry, or engineering. Solve problems related to materials, systems, or processes that interact with humans, plants, animals, microorganisms, or biological materials.
JobTitles : Engineering Director, Process Engineer
- Devise scalable recovery, purification, or fermentation processes for producing proteins or other biological substances for human or animal therapeutic use, food production or processing, biofuels, or effluent treatment.
- Read current scientific or trade literature to stay abreast of scientific, industrial, or technological advances.
- Design or conduct studies to determine optimal conditions for cell growth, protein production, or protein or virus expression or recovery, using chromatography, separation, or filtration equipment, such as centrifuges or bioreactors.
- Develop biocatalytic processes to convert biomass to fuels or fine chemicals, using enzymes of bacteria, yeast, or other microorganisms.
- Prepare technical reports, data summary documents, or research articles for scientific publication, regulatory submissions, or patent applications.
- Confer with research and biomanufacturing personnel to ensure the compatibility of design and production.
- Design or direct bench or pilot production experiments to determine the scale of production methods that optimize product yield and minimize production costs.
- Develop methodologies for transferring procedures or biological processes from laboratories to commercial-scale manufacturing production.
- Design or conduct follow-up experimentation, based on generated data, to meet established process objectives.
- Maintain databases of experiment characteristics or results.