Description : Conduct research in the genetics, nutrition, reproduction, growth, and development of domestic farm animals.
JobTitles : Animal Nutritionist, Animal Scientist, Beef Cattle Specialist, Research and Development Director, Animal Management Systems Specialist, Animal Nutrition Consultant, Animal Science Section Leader, Beef Cattle Nutritionist, Beef Technical Services Manager, Dairy Consultant
- Communicate research findings to the scientific community, producers, and the public.
- Study effects of management practices, processing methods, feed, or environmental conditions on quality and quantity of animal products, such as eggs and milk.
- Conduct research concerning animal nutrition, breeding, or management to improve products or processes.
- Study nutritional requirements of animals and nutritive values of animal feed materials.
- Advise producers about improved products and techniques that could enhance their animal production efforts.
- Research and control animal selection and breeding practices to increase production efficiency and improve animal quality.
- Develop improved practices in feeding, housing, sanitation, or parasite and disease control of animals.
- Crossbreed animals with existing strains or cross strains to obtain new combinations of desirable characteristics.
- Determine genetic composition of animal populations and heritability of traits, using principles of genetics.