Description : Research and study the inheritance of traits at the molecular, organism or population level. May evaluate or treat patients with genetic disorders.
JobTitles : Professor, Assistant Professor, Associate Professor, Research Scientist, Associate Professor of Genetics, Clinical Cytogenetics Director, Clinical Molecular Genetics Laboratory Director, Medical Genetics Director
- Maintain laboratory notebooks that record research methods, procedures, and results.
- Review, approve, or interpret genetic laboratory results.
- Plan or conduct basic genomic and biological research related to areas such as regulation of gene expression, protein interactions, metabolic networks, and nucleic acid or protein complexes.
- Search scientific literature to select and modify methods and procedures most appropriate for genetic research goals.
- Write grants and papers or attend fundraising events to seek research funds.
- Evaluate genetic data by performing appropriate mathematical or statistical calculations and analyses.
- Extract deoxyribonucleic acid (DNA) or perform diagnostic tests involving processes such as gel electrophoresis, Southern blot analysis, and polymerase chain reaction analysis.
- Prepare results of experimental findings for presentation at professional conferences or in scientific journals.
- Attend clinical and research conferences and read scientific literature to keep abreast of technological advances and current genetic research findings.
- Supervise or direct the work of other geneticists, biologists, technicians, or biometricians working on genetics research projects.