Description : Observe, research, and interpret astronomical phenomena to increase basic knowledge or apply such information to practical problems.
JobTitles : Professor, Astronomer, Astronomy Professor, Research Scientist, Associate Professor, Physics and Astronomy Professor, Scientist, Assistant Professor, Astrophysicist, Lunar and Planetary Institute Director
- Study celestial phenomena, using a variety of ground-based and space-borne telescopes and scientific instruments.
- Analyze research data to determine its significance, using computers.
- Develop theories based on personal observations or on observations and theories of other astronomers.
- Collaborate with other astronomers to carry out research projects.
- Present research findings at scientific conferences and in papers written for scientific journals.
- Raise funds for scientific research.
- Measure radio, infrared, gamma, and x-ray emissions from extraterrestrial sources.
- Teach astronomy or astrophysics.
- Develop instrumentation and software for astronomical observation and analysis.
- Review scientific proposals and research papers.