Administrative Law Judges, Adjudicators, & Hearing Officers
Description : Conduct hearings to recommend or make decisions on claims concerning government programs or other government-related matters. Determine liability, sanctions, or penalties, or recommend the acceptance or rejection of claims or settlements.
JobTitles : Administrative Law Judge, Administrative Hearing Officer, Administrative Judge, Hearing Officer, Adjudicator, Claims Adjudicator, Appeals Examiner, Appeals Referee, Judge, Workers' Compensation Hearings Officer
- Prepare written opinions and decisions.
- Monitor and direct the activities of trials and hearings to ensure that they are conducted fairly and that courts administer justice while safeguarding the legal rights of all involved parties.
- Determine existence and amount of liability according to current laws, administrative and judicial precedents, and available evidence.
- Research and analyze laws, regulations, policies, and precedent decisions to prepare for hearings and to determine conclusions.
- Conduct hearings to review and decide claims regarding issues such as social program eligibility, environmental protection, and enforcement of health and safety regulations.
- Review and evaluate data on documents, such as claim applications, birth or death certificates, and physician or employer records.
- Recommend the acceptance or rejection of claims or compromise settlements according to laws, regulations, policies, and precedent decisions.
- Rule on exceptions, motions, and admissibility of evidence.
- Confer with individuals or organizations involved in cases to obtain relevant information.
- Issue subpoenas and administer oaths in preparation for formal hearings.