English Language & Literature Teachers, Postsecondary
Description : Teach courses in English language and literature, including linguistics and comparative literature. Includes both teachers primarily engaged in teaching and those who do a combination of teaching and research.
JobTitles : English Professor, English Instructor, Professor, Instructor, General Education Instructor, Professor of English, Humanities Professor, Assistant Professor, Associate Professor of English, Assistant Professor of English
- Initiate, facilitate, and moderate classroom discussions.
- Evaluate and grade students' class work, assignments, and papers.
- Prepare course materials such as syllabi, homework assignments, and handouts.
- Prepare and deliver lectures to undergraduate or graduate students on topics such as poetry, novel structure, and translation and adaptation.
- Teach writing classes.
- Maintain student attendance records, grades, and other required records.
- Plan, evaluate, and revise curricula, course content, course materials, and methods of instruction.
- Keep abreast of developments in the field by reading current literature, talking with colleagues, and participating in professional conferences.
- Assist students who need extra help with their coursework outside of class.
- Maintain regularly scheduled office hours to advise and assist students.