Adapted Physical Education Specialists
Description : Provide individualized physical education instruction or services to children, youth, or adults with exceptional physical needs due to gross motor developmental delays or other impairments.
JobTitles : Adapted Physical Education Specialist, Adapted Physical Education Specialist-Workshop Leader, Adapted Physical Education Teacher, Adapted Physical Education or Adapted Physical Activity Specialist, Certified Adapted Physical Educator, Physical Education Teacher
- Provide adapted physical education services to students with intellectual disabilities, autism, traumatic brain injury, orthopedic impairments, or other disabling condition.
- Adapt instructional techniques to the age and skill levels of students.
- Instruct students, using adapted physical education techniques, to improve physical fitness, gross motor skills, perceptual motor skills, or sports and game achievement.
- Maintain thorough student records to document attendance, participation, or progress, ensuring confidentiality of all records.
- Assist in screening or placement of students in adapted physical education programs.
- Provide students positive feedback to encourage them and help them develop an appreciation for physical education.
- Assess students' physical progress or needs.
- Prepare lesson plans in accordance with individualized education plans (IEPs) and the functional abilities or needs of students.
- Establish and maintain standards of behavior to create safe, orderly, and effective environments for learning.
- Provide individual or small groups of students with adapted physical education instruction that meets desired physical needs or goals.