Adult Basic & Secondary Education & Literacy Teachers & Instructors
Description : Teach or instruct out-of-school youths and adults in remedial education classes, preparatory classes for the General Educational Development test, literacy, or English as a Second Language. Teaching may or may not take place in a traditional educational institution.
JobTitles : Teacher, General Educational Development Instructor (GED Instructor), Adult Basic Education Teacher (ABE Teacher), Adult Education Teacher, GED Teacher (General Educational Development Teacher), Adult Basic Education Instructor (ABE Instructor), Instructor, English as a Second Language Instructor (ESL Instructor), ESL Teacher (English as a Second Language Teacher), Adult Education Instructor
- Adapt teaching methods and instructional materials to meet students' varying needs, abilities, and interests.
- Maintain accurate and complete student records as required by laws or administrative policies.
- Assign and grade class work and homework.
- Prepare and administer written, oral, and performance tests, and issue grades in accordance with performance.
- Conduct classes, workshops, and demonstrations to teach principles, techniques, or methods in subjects such as basic English language skills, life skills, and workforce entry skills.
- Observe and evaluate students' work to determine progress and make suggestions for improvement.
- Establish clear objectives for all lessons, units, and projects and communicate those objectives to students.
- Instruct students individually and in groups, using various teaching methods such as lectures, discussions, and demonstrations.
- Guide and counsel students with adjustment or academic problems, or special academic interests.
- Prepare materials and classrooms for class activities.