Description : Direct and coordinate activities of personnel engaged in preparation of radio or television station program schedules and programs, such as sports or news.
JobTitles : Director, Newscast Director, Operations Director, Production Director, Program Coordinator, Program Director, Program Manager, Programming Director, Station Manager, Television Program Director (TV Program Director)
- Plan and schedule programming and event coverage, based on broadcast length, time availability, and other factors, such as community needs, ratings data, and viewer demographics.
- Coordinate activities between departments, such as news and programming.
- Direct and coordinate activities of personnel engaged in broadcast news, sports, or programming.
- Monitor and review programming to ensure that schedules are met, guidelines are adhered to, and performances are of adequate quality.
- Check completed program logs for accuracy and conformance with Federal Communications Commission (FCC) rules and regulations and resolve program log inaccuracies.
- Establish work schedules and assign work to staff members.
- Monitor network transmissions for advisories concerning daily program schedules, program content, special feeds, or program changes.
- Prepare copy and edit tape so that material is ready for broadcasting.
- Confer with directors and production staff to discuss issues such as production and casting problems, budgets, policies, and news coverage.
- Develop ideas for programs and features that a station could produce.