Umpires, Referees, & Other Sports Officials
Description : Officiate at competitive athletic or sporting events. Detect infractions of rules and decide penalties according to established regulations. Includes all sporting officials, referees, and competition judges.
JobTitles : Horse Show Judge, Major League Baseball Umpire, Judge, Commissioner of Officials, Referee, Softball Umpire, Supervisor of Officials, Basketball Referee, Director of Officiating, Dressage Judge
- Officiate at sporting events, games, or competitions, to maintain standards of play and to ensure that game rules are observed.
- Judge performances in sporting competitions in order to award points, impose scoring penalties, and determine results.
- Inspect sporting equipment and/or examine participants in order to ensure compliance with event and safety regulations.
- Keep track of event times, including race times and elapsed time during game segments, starting or stopping play when necessary.
- Signal participants or other officials to make them aware of infractions or to otherwise regulate play or competition.
- Verify scoring calculations before competition winners are announced.
- Resolve claims of rule infractions or complaints by participants and assess any necessary penalties, according to regulations.
- Start races and competitions.
- Teach and explain the rules and regulations governing a specific sport.
- Verify credentials of participants in sporting events, and make other qualifying determinations such as starting order or handicap number.