Description : Receive and transmit communications using radiotelephone equipment in accordance with government regulations. May repair equipment.
JobTitles : Communications Specialist, Radio Electronics Officer (REO), Flight Communications Specialist, Radio Operator, Telecommunication Operator, Airline Operations Agent, Flight Follower, Police Communications Operator, Communications Technician, Radio Electronics Technician (RET)
- Monitor emergency frequencies in order to detect distress calls and respond by dispatching emergency equipment.
- Communicate with receiving operators in order to exchange transmission instructions.
- Operate radio equipment in order to communicate with ships, aircraft, mining crews, offshore oil rigs, logging camps and other remote operations.
- Broadcast weather reports and warnings.
- Maintain station logs of messages transmitted and received for activities such as flight testing and fire locations.
- Conduct periodic equipment inspections and routine tests in order to ensure that operations standards are met.
- Turn controls or throw switches in order to activate power, adjust voice volume and modulation, and set transmitters on specified frequencies.
- Operate sound-recording equipment in order to record signals and preserve broadcasts for purposes such as analysis by intelligence personnel.
- Send, receive, and interpret coded messages.
- Repair radio equipment as necessary, using electronic testing equipment, hand tools, and power tools.