Description : Diagnose, manage, and treat conditions and diseases of the human eye and visual system. Examine eyes and visual system, diagnose problems or impairments, prescribe corrective lenses, and provide treatment. May prescribe therapeutic drugs to treat specific eye conditions.
JobTitles : Optometrist, Doctor of Optometry (OD), Doctor
- Examine eyes, using observation, instruments and pharmaceutical agents, to determine visual acuity and perception, focus and coordination and to diagnose diseases and other abnormalities such as glaucoma or color blindness.
- Prescribe medications to treat eye diseases if state laws permit.
- Prescribe, supply, fit and adjust eyeglasses, contact lenses and other vision aids.
- Analyze test results and develop a treatment plan.
- Educate and counsel patients on contact lens care, visual hygiene, lighting arrangements and safety factors.
- Remove foreign bodies from the eye.
- Consult with and refer patients to ophthalmologist or other health care practitioner if additional medical treatment is determined necessary.
- Provide patients undergoing eye surgeries, such as cataract and laser vision correction, with pre- and post-operative care.
- Prescribe therapeutic procedures to correct or conserve vision.
- Provide vision therapy and low vision rehabilitation.