Description : Physicians who diagnose, treat, and help prevent disorders of the mind.
JobTitles : Psychiatrist, Staff Psychiatrist, Child Psychiatrist, Consulting Psychiatrist, Prison Psychiatrist
- Prescribe, direct, or administer psychotherapeutic treatments or medications to treat mental, emotional, or behavioral disorders.
- Analyze and evaluate patient data or test findings to diagnose nature or extent of mental disorder.
- Collaborate with physicians, psychologists, social workers, psychiatric nurses, or other professionals to discuss treatment plans and progress.
- Design individualized care plans, using a variety of treatments.
- Gather and maintain patient information and records, including social or medical history obtained from patients, relatives, or other professionals.
- Counsel outpatients or other patients during office visits.
- Examine or conduct laboratory or diagnostic tests on patients to provide information on general physical condition or mental disorder.
- Advise or inform guardians, relatives, or significant others of patients' conditions or treatment.
- Teach, take continuing education classes, attend conferences or seminars, or conduct research and publish findings to increase understanding of mental, emotional, or behavioral states or disorders.
- Review and evaluate treatment procedures and outcomes of other psychiatrists or medical professionals.