Description : Diagnose, treat, and help prevent diseases and disorders of the nervous system.
JobTitles : Adult Neurologist; Adult and Pediatric Neurologist; Attending Physician; Director of Adult Epilepsy; Director, Inpatient Headache Program; General Neurologist; Medical Director of MS Treatment and Research Center; Neurologist; Neurologist and Director of Medical Research; Pediatric Neurologist
- Interview patients to obtain information such as complaints, symptoms, medical histories, and family histories.
- Examine patients to obtain information about functional status of areas such as vision, physical strength, coordination, reflexes, sensations, language skills, cognitive abilities, and mental status.
- Perform or interpret the outcomes of procedures or diagnostic tests such as lumbar punctures, electroencephalography, electromyography, and nerve conduction velocity tests.
- Order or interpret results of laboratory analyses of patients' blood or cerebrospinal fluid.
- Diagnose neurological conditions based on interpretation of examination findings, histories, or test results.
- Prescribe or administer medications, such as anti-epileptic drugs, and monitor patients for behavioral and cognitive side effects.
- Identify and treat major neurological system diseases and disorders such as central nervous system infection, cranio spinal trauma, dementia, and stroke.
- Develop treatment plans based on diagnoses and on evaluation of factors such as age and general health, or procedural risks and costs.
- Inform patients or families of neurological diagnoses and prognoses, or benefits, risks and costs of various treatment plans.
- Prepare, maintain, or review records that include patients' histories, neurological examination findings, treatment plans, or outcomes.