Description : Assist anesthesiologists in the administration of anesthesia for surgical and non-surgical procedures. Monitor patient status and provide patient care during surgical treatment.
JobTitles : Anesthesia Assistant, Anesthesia Tech, Anesthesia Technician, Anesthesiologist Assistant, Anesthesiologist Assistant-Certified, Anesthesiologists' Assistant, Cardiothoracic Anesthesia Technician, Certified Anesthesia Technician and Technologist, Oral Surgery Assistant, Oral Surgery Assistant-Clinical Coordinator
- Provide airway management interventions including tracheal intubation, fiber optics, or ventilary support.
- Respond to emergency situations by providing cardiopulmonary resuscitation (CPR), basic cardiac life support (BLS), advanced cardiac life support (ACLS), or pediatric advanced life support (PALS).
- Verify availability of operating room supplies, medications, and gases.
- Pretest and calibrate anesthesia delivery systems and monitors.
- Participate in seminars, workshops, or other professional activities to keep abreast of developments in anesthesiology.
- Control anesthesia levels during procedures.
- Assist anesthesiologists in monitoring of patients including electrocardiogram (EKG), direct arterial pressure, central venous pressure, arterial blood gas, hematocrit, or routine measurement of temperature, respiration, blood pressure and heart rate.
- Administer blood, blood products, or supportive fluids.
- Collect and document patients' pre-anesthetic health histories.
- Assist in the provision of advanced life support techniques including those procedures using high frequency ventilation or intra-arterial cardiovascular assistance devices.