Description : Diagnose and treat diseases and deformities of the human foot.
JobTitles : Podiatrist, Podiatric Physician, Doctor of Podiatric Medicine (DPM), Podiatric Surgeon, Doctor Podiatric Medicine (DPM), Foot and Ankle Surgeon, Physician, Doctor, Practitioner
- Surgically treat conditions such as corns, calluses, ingrown nails, tumors, shortened tendons, bunions, cysts, and abscesses.
- Diagnose diseases and deformities of the foot using medical histories, physical examinations, x-rays, and laboratory test results.
- Prescribe medications, corrective devices, physical therapy, or surgery.
- Advise patients about treatments and foot care techniques necessary for prevention of future problems.
- Treat bone, muscle, and joint disorders affecting the feet and ankles.
- Refer patients to physicians when symptoms indicative of systemic disorders, such as arthritis or diabetes, are observed in feet and legs.
- Make and fit prosthetic appliances.
- Correct deformities by means of plaster casts and strapping.
- Perform administrative duties such as hiring employees, ordering supplies, and keeping records.
- Educate the public about the benefits of foot care through techniques such as speaking engagements, advertising, and other forums.