Description : Plan, direct, or coordinate medically-approved recreation programs for patients in hospitals, nursing homes, or other institutions. Activities include sports, trips, dramatics, social activities, and arts and crafts. May assess a patient condition and recommend appropriate recreational activity.
JobTitles : Recreation Therapist, Recreational Therapist, Activity Director, Rehabilitation Therapist, Activity Assistant, Therapeutic Recreation Specialist, Certified Therapeutic Recreation Specialist (CTRS), Activity Coordinator, Music Therapist (Rehabilitation), Activities Director
- Conduct therapy sessions to improve patients' mental and physical well-being.
- Observe, analyze, and record patients' participation, reactions, and progress during treatment sessions, modifying treatment programs as needed.
- Plan, organize, direct and participate in treatment programs and activities to facilitate patients' rehabilitation, help them integrate into the community and prevent further medical problems.
- Develop treatment plan to meet needs of patient, based on needs assessment, patient interests and objectives of therapy.
- Prepare and submit reports and charts to treatment team to reflect patients' reactions and evidence of progress or regression.
- Obtain information from medical records, medical staff, family members and the patients themselves to assess patients' capabilities, needs and interests.
- Counsel and encourage patients to develop leisure activities.
- Instruct patient in activities and techniques, such as sports, dance, music, art or relaxation techniques, designed to meet their specific physical or psychological needs.
- Confer with members of treatment team to plan and evaluate therapy programs.
- Encourage clients with special needs and circumstances to acquire new skills and get involved in health-promoting leisure activities, such as sports, games, arts and crafts, and gardening.