Advanced Practice Psychiatric Nurses
Description : Provide advanced nursing care for patients with psychiatric disorders. May provide psychotherapy under the direction of a psychiatrist.
JobTitles : Clinical Nurse Specialist, Psychiatric Nurse Practitioner, Psychiatric Clinical Nurse Specialist, Advanced Practice Psychiatric Nurse
- Diagnose psychiatric disorders and mental health conditions.
- Distinguish between physiologically and psychologically based disorders and diagnose appropriately.
- Assess patients' mental and physical status based on the presenting symptoms and complaints.
- Conduct individual, group, or family psychotherapy for those with chronic or acute mental disorders.
- Monitor patients' medication usage and results.
- Evaluate patients' behavior to formulate diagnoses or assess treatments.
- Educate patients and family members about mental health and medical conditions, preventive health measures, medications, or treatment plans.
- Document patients' medical and psychological histories, physical assessment results, diagnoses, treatment plans, prescriptions, or outcomes.
- Collaborate with interdisciplinary team members, including psychiatrists, psychologists, or nursing staff, to develop, implement, or evaluate treatment plans.
- Write prescriptions for psychotropic medications as allowed by state regulations and collaborative practice agreements.