Description : Stain, mount, and study cells to detect evidence of cancer, hormonal abnormalities, and other pathological conditions following established standards and practices.
JobTitles : Cytotechnologist, Cytology Manager
- Document specimens by verifying patients' and specimens' information.
- Submit slides with abnormal cell structures to pathologists for further examination.
- Examine cell samples to detect abnormalities in the color, shape, or size of cellular components and patterns.
- Provide patient clinical data or microscopic findings to assist pathologists in the preparation of pathology reports.
- Prepare and analyze samples, such as Papanicolaou (PAP) smear body fluids and fine needle aspirations (FNAs), to detect abnormal conditions.
- Maintain effective laboratory operations by adhering to standards of specimen collection, preparation, or laboratory safety.
- Examine specimens using microscopes to evaluate specimen quality.
- Assist pathologists or other physicians to collect cell samples such as by fine needle aspiration (FNA) biopsies.
- Attend continuing education programs that address laboratory issues.
- Adjust, maintain, or repair laboratory equipment such as microscopes.