Description : Evaluate and advise individuals to assist recovery from or avoid athletic-related injuries or illnesses, or maintain peak physical fitness. May provide first aid or emergency care.
JobTitles : Athletic Trainer, Certified Athletic Trainer, Assistant Athletic Trainer, Athletic Instructor, Clinical Education Coordinator, Clinical Instructor, Physician Extender, Resident Athletic Trainer, Sports Medicine Coordinator
- Conduct an initial assessment of an athlete's injury or illness to provide emergency or continued care and to determine whether they should be referred to physicians for definitive diagnosis and treatment.
- Evaluate athletes' readiness to play and provide participation clearances when necessary and warranted.
- Apply protective or injury preventive devices, such as tape, bandages, or braces, to body parts, such as ankles, fingers, or wrists.
- Assess and report the progress of recovering athletes to coaches or physicians.
- Collaborate with physicians to develop and implement comprehensive rehabilitation programs for athletic injuries.
- Care for athletic injuries, using physical therapy equipment, techniques, or medication.
- Perform general administrative tasks, such as keeping records or writing reports.
- Plan or implement comprehensive athletic injury or illness prevention programs.
- Instruct coaches, athletes, parents, medical personnel, or community members in the care and prevention of athletic injuries.
- Travel with athletic teams to be available at sporting events.