Description : Provide prenatal care and childbirth assistance.
JobTitles : Certified Professional Midwife; Certified Professional Midwife, Licensed Midwife; Director of Midwifery/Staff Midwife; Lay Midwife; Licensed Direct Entry Midwife; Licensed Midwife; Licensed Midwife, Certified Professional Midwife; Midwife; Midwife and Birth Center Owner; Staff Midwife
- Monitor maternal condition during labor by checking vital signs, monitoring uterine contractions, or performing physical examinations.
- Monitor fetal growth and well-being through heartbeat detection, body measurement, and palpation.
- Identify, monitor, or treat pregnancy-related problems such as hypertension, gestational diabetes, pre-term labor, and retarded fetal growth.
- Provide necessary medical care for infants at birth, including emergency care such as resuscitation.
- Establish and follow emergency or contingency plans for mothers and newborns.
- Identify tubal and ectopic pregnancies and refer patients for treatments.
- Perform post-partum health assessments of mothers and babies at regular intervals.
- Maintain documentation of all patients' contacts, reviewing and updating records as necessary.
- Assess the status of post-date pregnancies to determine treatments and interventions.
- Counsel women regarding the nutritional requirements of pregnancy.