Occupational Therapy Assistants
Description : Assist occupational therapists in providing occupational therapy treatments and procedures. May, in accordance with State laws, assist in development of treatment plans, carry out routine functions, direct activity programs, and document the progress of treatments. Generally requires formal training.
JobTitles : Certified Occupational Therapy Assistant (COTA), Certified Occupational Therapy Assistant-Licensed (COTA-L), Occupational Therapy Assistant (OTA), Certified Occupational Therapist Assistant (COTA), Occupational Therapist Assistant, Behavior Specialist, Certified Occupational Therapist Assistant/Licensed (COTA/L), Licensed Occupational Therapy Assistant, School Based Certified Occupational Therapy Assistant
- Select therapy activities to fit patients' needs and capabilities.
- Observe and record patients' progress, attitudes, and behavior and maintain this information in client records.
- Communicate and collaborate with other healthcare professionals involved with the care of a patient.
- Maintain and promote a positive attitude toward clients and their treatment programs.
- Monitor patients' performance in therapy activities, providing encouragement.
- Instruct, or assist in instructing, patients and families in home programs, basic living skills, or the care and use of adaptive equipment.
- Implement, or assist occupational therapists with implementing, treatment plans designed to help clients function independently.
- Evaluate the daily living skills or capacities of physically, developmentally, or emotionally disabled clients.
- Aid patients in dressing and grooming themselves.
- Report to supervisors, verbally or in writing, on patients' progress, attitudes, and behavior.