Veterinary Assistants & Laboratory Animal Caretakers
Description : Feed, water, and examine pets and other nonfarm animals for signs of illness, disease, or injury in laboratories and animal hospitals and clinics. Clean and disinfect cages and work areas, and sterilize laboratory and surgical equipment. May provide routine post-operative care, administer medication orally or topically, or prepare samples for laboratory examination under the supervision of veterinary or laboratory animal technologists or technicians, veterinarians, or scientists.
JobTitles : Animal Care Provider, Animal Caregiver, Avian Keeper, Emergency Veterinary Assistant, Research Animal Attendant, Small Animal Caretaker, Technician Assistant, Veterinarian Assistant, Veterinary Assistant (Vet Assistant), Veterinary Technician Assistant (Vet Tech Assistant)
- Hold or restrain animals during veterinary procedures.
- Clean and maintain kennels, animal holding areas, examination or operating rooms, or animal loading or unloading facilities to control the spread of disease.
- Fill medication prescriptions.
- Assist veterinarians in examining animals to determine the nature of illnesses or injuries.
- Monitor animals recovering from surgery and notify veterinarians of any unusual changes or symptoms.
- Clean, maintain, and sterilize instruments or equipment.
- Examine animals to detect behavioral changes or clinical symptoms that could indicate illness or injury.
- Educate or advise clients on animal health care, nutrition, or behavior problems.
- Administer medication, immunizations, or blood plasma to animals as prescribed by veterinarians.
- Collect laboratory specimens, such as blood, urine, or feces for testing.