Municipal Fire Fighting & Prevention Supervisors
Description : Supervise fire fighters who control and extinguish municipal fires, protect life and property, and conduct rescue efforts.
JobTitles : Fire Chief, Fire Captain, Fire Lieutenant, Fire Battalion Chief, Lieutenant Fire Fighter, Fire Marshal, Training Officer, Battalion Fire Chief, Shift Commander, Fire Suppression Captain
- Assign firefighters to jobs at strategic locations to facilitate rescue of persons and maximize application of extinguishing agents.
- Provide emergency medical services as required, and perform light to heavy rescue functions at emergencies.
- Assess nature and extent of fire, condition of building, danger to adjacent buildings, and water supply status to determine crew or company requirements.
- Instruct and drill fire department personnel in assigned duties, including firefighting, medical care, hazardous materials response, fire prevention, and related subjects.
- Inspect and test new and existing fire protection systems, fire detection systems, and fire safety equipment to ensure that they are operating properly.
- Compile and maintain records on personnel, accidents, equipment, and supplies.
- Perform maintenance and minor repairs on firefighting equipment, including vehicles, and write and submit proposals to modify, replace, and repair equipment.
- Prepare activity reports listing fire call locations, actions taken, fire types and probable causes, damage estimates, and situation dispositions.
- Evaluate the performance of assigned firefighting personnel.
- Direct the training of firefighters, assigning of instructors to training classes, and providing of supervisors with reports on training progress and status.