Description : Conduct investigations to prevent crimes or solve criminal cases.
JobTitles : Detective, Fugitive Detective, Investigator, Police Detective, Narcotics Detective, Fugitive Investigator, Narcotics Investigator, Detective Sergeant, Detective Supervisor, Sex Crimes Detective
- Provide testimony as a witness in court.
- Secure deceased body and obtain evidence from it, preventing bystanders from tampering with it prior to medical examiner's arrival.
- Examine crime scenes to obtain clues and evidence, such as loose hairs, fibers, clothing, or weapons.
- Obtain evidence from suspects.
- Record progress of investigation, maintain informational files on suspects, and submit reports to commanding officer or magistrate to authorize warrants.
- Check victims for signs of life, such as breathing and pulse.
- Prepare charges or responses to charges, or information for court cases, according to formalized procedures.
- Obtain facts or statements from complainants, witnesses, and accused persons and record interviews, using recording device.
- Prepare and serve search and arrest warrants.
- Note, mark, and photograph location of objects found, such as footprints, tire tracks, bullets and bloodstains, and take measurements of the scene.