Transit & Railroad Police
Description : Protect and police railroad and transit property, employees, or passengers.
JobTitles : Special Agent, Supervisory Special Agent, Patrolman, Transit Police Officer, Railroad Police Officer, Police Specialist, Canine Officer (K-9 Officer)
- Patrol railroad yards, cars, stations, or other facilities to protect company property or shipments and to maintain order.
- Examine credentials of unauthorized persons attempting to enter secured areas.
- Apprehend or remove trespassers or thieves from railroad property or coordinate with law enforcement agencies in apprehensions and removals.
- Prepare reports documenting investigation activities and results.
- Investigate or direct investigations of freight theft, suspicious damage or loss of passengers' valuables, or other crimes on railroad property.
- Direct security activities at derailments, fires, floods, or strikes involving railroad property.
- Direct or coordinate the daily activities or training of security staff.
- Interview neighbors, associates, or former employers of job applicants to verify personal references or to obtain work history data.
- Record and verify seal numbers from boxcars containing frequently pilfered items, such as cigarettes or liquor, to detect tampering.
- Plan or implement special safety or preventive programs, such as fire or accident prevention.