Animal Control Workers
Description : Handle animals for the purpose of investigations of mistreatment, or control of abandoned, dangerous, or unattended animals.
JobTitles : Animal Control Officer, Animal Park Code Enforcement Officer, Community Service Officer, Animal Attendant, Dog Control Officer
- Investigate reports of animal attacks or animal cruelty, interviewing witnesses, collecting evidence, and writing reports.
- Capture and remove stray, uncontrolled, or abused animals from undesirable conditions, using nets, nooses, or tranquilizer darts as necessary.
- Examine animals for injuries or malnutrition, and arrange for any necessary medical treatment.
- Remove captured animals from animal-control service vehicles and place animals in shelter cages or other enclosures.
- Euthanize rabid, unclaimed, or severely injured animals.
- Supply animals with food, water, and personal care.
- Clean facilities and equipment such as dog pens and animal control trucks.
- Prepare for prosecutions related to animal treatment, and give evidence in court.
- Educate the public about animal welfare, and animal control laws and regulations.
- Contact animal owners to inform them that their pets are at animal holding facilities.