Lifeguards, Ski Patrol, & Other Recreational Protective Service Workers
Description : Monitor recreational areas, such as pools, beaches, or ski slopes to provide assistance and protection to participants.
JobTitles : Lifeguard, Ski Patroller, Ocean Lifeguard, Ocean Lifeguard Specialist, Beach Lifeguard, Swim Instructor, Marine Safety Officer, Pool Attendant, Water Safety Instructor (WSI), Pool Lifeguard
- Examine injured persons and administer first aid or cardiopulmonary resuscitation, if necessary, using training and medical supplies and equipment.
- Contact emergency medical personnel in case of serious injury.
- Rescue distressed persons, using rescue techniques and equipment.
- Instruct participants in skiing, swimming, or other recreational activities and provide safety precaution information.
- Patrol or monitor recreational areas such as trails, slopes, and swimming areas, on foot, in vehicles, or from towers.
- Complete and maintain records of weather and beach conditions, emergency medical treatments performed, and other relevant incident information.
- Maintain quality of pool water by testing chemical levels.
- Warn recreational participants of inclement weather, unsafe areas, or illegal conduct.
- Observe activities in assigned areas, using binoculars, to detect hazards, disturbances, or safety infractions.
- Inspect recreational equipment, such as rope tows, T-bars, J-bars, and chair lifts, for safety hazards and damage or wear.