Mail Clerks & Mail Machine Operators
Description : Prepare incoming and outgoing mail for distribution. Use hand or mail handling machines to time stamp, open, read, sort, and route incoming mail; and address, seal, stamp, fold, stuff, and affix postage to outgoing mail or packages. Duties may also include keeping necessary records and completed forms.
JobTitles : Mail Clerk, Mail Machine Operator, Mail Sorter, Inserter Operator, Insert Operator, Mail Reader, Mailroom Supervisor
- Seal or open envelopes, by hand or by using machines.
- Affix postage to packages or letters by hand, or stamp materials, using postage meters.
- Verify that items are addressed correctly, marked with the proper postage, and in suitable condition for processing.
- Place incoming or outgoing letters or packages into sacks or bins based on destination or type, and place identifying tags on sacks or bins.
- Clear jams in sortation equipment.
- Sort and route incoming mail, and collect outgoing mail, using carts as necessary.
- Weigh packages or letters to determine postage needed, using weighing scales and rate charts.
- Determine manner in which mail is to be sent, and prepare it for delivery to mailing facilities.
- Lift and unload containers of mail or parcels onto equipment for transportation to sortation stations.
- Wrap packages or bundles by hand, or by using tying machines.