Paving, Surfacing, & Tamping Equipment Operators
Description : Operate equipment used for applying concrete, asphalt, or other materials to road beds, parking lots, or airport runways and taxiways, or equipment used for tamping gravel, dirt, or other materials. Includes concrete and asphalt paving machine operators, form tampers, tamping machine operators, and stone spreader operators.
JobTitles : Equipment Operator (EO), Paver Operator, Roller Operator, Truck Driver, Operator, Screed Operator, Heavy Equipment Operator, Maintenance Equipment Operator (MEO), Asphalt Raker, Asphalt Paver Operator
- Operate machines to spread, smooth, level, or steel-reinforce stone, concrete, or asphalt on road beds.
- Observe distribution of paving material to adjust machine settings or material flow, and indicate low spots for workers to add material.
- Control traffic.
- Light burners or start heating units of machines, and regulate screed temperatures and asphalt flow rates.
- Inspect, clean, maintain, and repair equipment, using mechanics' hand tools, or report malfunctions to supervisors.
- Operate tamping machines or manually roll surfaces to compact earth fills, foundation forms, and finished road materials, according to grade specifications.
- Start machine, engage clutch, and push and move levers to guide machine along forms or guidelines and to control the operation of machine attachments.
- Fill tanks, hoppers, or machines with paving materials.
- Set up and tear down equipment.
- Coordinate truck dumping.