Pipe Fitters & Steamfitters
Description : Lay out, assemble, install, or maintain pipe systems, pipe supports, or related hydraulic or pneumatic equipment for steam, hot water, heating, cooling, lubricating, sprinkling, or industrial production or processing systems.
JobTitles : Pipe Fitter, Pipefitter, Welder, Steamfitter, Sprinkler Fitter, Equipment Service Associate (ESA), Machine Repairman, Journeyman Pipe Fitter, Millwright, Pipe Welder
- Plan pipe system layout, installation, or repair, according to specifications.
- Inspect, examine, or test installed systems or pipe lines, using pressure gauge, hydrostatic testing, observation, or other methods.
- Select pipe sizes, types, or related materials, such as supports, hangers, or hydraulic cylinders, according to specifications.
- Measure and mark pipes for cutting or threading.
- Attach pipes to walls, structures, or fixtures, such as radiators or tanks, using brackets, clamps, tools, or welding equipment.
- Assemble or secure pipes, tubes, fittings, or related equipment, according to specifications, by welding, brazing, cementing, soldering, or threading joints.
- Lay out full scale drawings of pipe systems, supports, and related equipment, following blueprints.
- Turn valves to shut off steam, water, or other gases or liquids from pipe sections, using valve keys or wrenches.
- Cut, thread, or hammer pipes to specifications, using tools such as saws, cutting torches, pipe threaders, or pipe benders.
- Remove and replace worn components.