Description : Cover roofs of structures with shingles, slate, asphalt, aluminum, wood, or related materials. May spray roofs, sidings, and walls with material to bind, seal, insulate, or soundproof sections of structures.
JobTitles : Roofer, Roof Mechanic, Roof Service Technician, Roofing Technician, Metal Roofing Mechanic, Sheet Metal Roofer, Industrial Roofer, Residential Roofer
- Inspect problem roofs to determine the best repair procedures.
- Set up scaffolding to provide safe access to roofs.
- Align roofing materials with edges of roofs.
- Clean and maintain equipment.
- Cement or nail flashing strips of metal or shingle over joints to make them watertight.
- Install, repair, or replace single-ply roofing systems, using waterproof sheet materials such as modified plastics, elastomeric, or other asphaltic compositions.
- Cut felt, shingles, or strips of flashing to fit angles formed by walls, vents, or intersecting roof surfaces.
- Install vapor barriers or layers of insulation on flat roofs.
- Cut roofing paper to size using knives; and nail or staple roofing paper to roofs in overlapping strips to form bases for other materials.
- Cover exposed nailheads with roofing cement or caulking to prevent water leakage or rust.