Septic Tank Servicers & Sewer Pipe Cleaners
Description : Clean and repair septic tanks, sewer lines, or drains. May patch walls and partitions of tank, replace damaged drain tile, or repair breaks in underground piping.
JobTitles : Service Technician, Septic Pump Truck Driver, Sewer and Drain Technician, Drain Cleaner, Public Works Technician, Sewer and Drain Cleaner, Maintenance Worker, Septic Cleaner, Utility Worker
- Drive trucks to transport crews, materials, and equipment.
- Communicate with supervisors and other workers, using equipment such as wireless phones, pagers, or radio telephones.
- Prepare and keep records of actions taken, including maintenance and repair work.
- Operate sewer cleaning equipment, including power rodders, high-velocity water jets, sewer flushers, bucket machines, wayne balls, and vac-alls.
- Ensure that repaired sewer line joints are tightly sealed before backfilling begins.
- Withdraw cables from pipes and examine them for evidence of mud, roots, grease, and other deposits indicating broken or clogged sewer lines.
- Install rotary knives on flexible cables mounted on machine reels, according to the diameters of pipes to be cleaned.
- Measure excavation sites, using plumbers' snakes, tapelines, or lengths of cutting heads within sewers, and mark areas for digging.
- Locate problems, using specially designed equipment, and mark where digging must occur to reach damaged tanks or pipes.
- Clean and repair septic tanks, sewer lines, or related structures such as manholes, culverts, and catch basins.