Description : Operate a variety of drills such as rotary, churn, and pneumatic to tap sub-surface water and salt deposits, to remove core samples during mineral exploration or soil testing, and to facilitate the use of explosives in mining or construction. May use explosives. Includes horizontal and earth boring machine operators.
JobTitles : Driller, Blaster, Blast Hole Driller, Drill Operator, Well Driller, Blasting Production Technician, Hard Rock Drill Operator, Highwall Drill Operator, Overburden Drill Operator, Rock Drill Operator
- Regulate air pressure, rotary speed, and downward pressure, according to the type of rock or concrete being drilled.
- Verify depths and alignments of boring positions.
- Monitor drilling operations, checking gauges and listening to equipment to assess drilling conditions and to determine the need to adjust drilling or alter equipment.
- Start, stop, and control drilling speed of machines and insertion of casings into holes.
- Select the appropriate drill for the job, using knowledge of rock or soil conditions.
- Operate controls to stabilize machines and to position and align drills.
- Select and attach drill bits and drill rods, adding more rods as hole depths increase, and changing drill bits as needed.
- Drill or bore holes in rock for blasting, grouting, anchoring, or building foundations.
- Operate machines to flush earth cuttings or to blow dust from holes.
- Drive or guide truck-mounted equipment into position, level and stabilize rigs, and extend telescoping derricks.