Roof Bolters, Mining
Description : Operate machinery to install roof support bolts in underground mine.
JobTitles : Roof Bolter, Roof Bolter Operator, Inby (Roof Bolter), Underground Coal Miner (Roof Bolter), Underground Roof Bolter, Bolt Machine Operator, Bolt Man
- Drill bolt holes into roofs at specified distances from ribs or adjacent bolts.
- Force bolts into holes, using hydraulic mechanisms of self-propelled bolting machines.
- Remove drill bits from chucks after drilling holes and insert bolts into chucks.
- Test bolts for specified tension, using torque wrenches.
- Position safety jacks to support underground mine roofs until bolts can be installed.
- Position bolting machines, and insert drill bits into chucks.
- Rotate chucks to turn bolts and open expansion heads against rock formations.
- Install truss bolts traversing entire ceiling spans.
- Tighten ends of anchored truss bolts, using turnbuckles.