Electrical & Electronics Repairers, Powerhouse, Substation, & Relay
Description : Inspect, test, repair, or maintain electrical equipment in generating stations, substations, and in-service relays.
JobTitles : Relay Technician, Substation Electrician, Substation Technician, Electrical and Instrumentation Technician (E & I Technician), Instrument and Control Technician (I & C Technician), Substation Mechanic, Wireman, Meter / Relay Technician, Apparatus Lineman, Heavy Equipment Technician
- Construct, test, maintain, and repair substation relay and control systems.
- Inspect and test equipment and circuits to identify malfunctions or defects, using wiring diagrams and testing devices such as ohmmeters, voltmeters, or ammeters.
- Consult manuals, schematics, wiring diagrams, and engineering personnel to troubleshoot and solve equipment problems and to determine optimum equipment functioning.
- Notify facility personnel of equipment shutdowns.
- Open and close switches to isolate defective relays, performing adjustments or repairs.
- Prepare and maintain records detailing tests, repairs, and maintenance.
- Analyze test data to diagnose malfunctions, to determine performance characteristics of systems, or to evaluate effects of system modifications.
- Test insulators and bushings of equipment by inducing voltage across insulation, testing current, and calculating insulation loss.
- Repair, replace, and clean equipment and components such as circuit breakers, brushes, and commutators.
- Disconnect voltage regulators, bolts, and screws, and connect replacement regulators to high-voltage lines.