Security & Fire Alarm Systems Installers
Description : Install, program, maintain, or repair security or fire alarm wiring and equipment. Ensure that work is in accordance with relevant codes.
JobTitles : Alarm Technician, Service Technician, Installation Technician, Fire Alarm Technician, Security Technician, Security Installer, Electronic Security Technician, Fire and Sound Service Technician, Home Security Alarm Installer, Low Voltage Technician
- Examine systems to locate problems, such as loose connections or broken insulation.
- Test backup batteries, keypad programming, sirens, and all security features in order to ensure proper functioning, and to diagnose malfunctions.
- Mount and fasten control panels, door and window contacts, sensors, or video cameras and attach electrical and telephone wiring to connect components.
- Install, maintain, or repair security systems, alarm devices, or related equipment, following blueprints of electrical layouts and building plans.
- Feed cables through access holes, roof spaces, and cavity walls to reach fixture outlets; then position and terminate cables, wires and strapping.
- Inspect installation sites and study work orders, building plans, and installation manuals to determine materials requirements and installation procedures.
- Adjust sensitivity of units, based on room structures and manufacturers' recommendations, using programming keypads.
- Test and repair circuits and sensors, following wiring and system specifications.
- Drill holes for wiring in wall studs, joists, ceilings, or floors.
- Demonstrate systems for customers and explain details, such as the causes and consequences of false alarms.