Automotive Glass Installers & Repairers
Description : Replace or repair broken windshields and window glass in motor vehicles.
JobTitles : Automotive Glass Technician (Auto Glass Technician), Automotive Glass Installer (Auto Glass Installer), Glass Installer Technician, Automotive Glazier (Auto Glazier), Master Automotive Glass Technician (Master Auto Glass Technician), Windshield Repair Technician
- Remove all dirt, foreign matter, and loose glass from damaged areas, apply primer along windshield or window edges, and allow primer to dry.
- Install replacement glass in vehicles after old glass has been removed and all necessary preparations have been made.
- Allow all glass parts installed with urethane ample time to cure, taking temperature and humidity into account.
- Prime all scratches on pinchwelds with primer and allow primed scratches to dry.
- Obtain windshields or windows for specific automobile makes and models from stock and examine them for defects prior to installation.
- Check for and remove moisture or contamination in damaged areas and keep areas dry until repairs are complete.
- Apply a bead of urethane around the perimeter of each pinchweld and dress the remaining urethane on the pinchwelds so that it is of uniform level and thickness.
- Select appropriate tools, safety equipment, and parts, according to job requirements.
- Remove broken or damaged glass windshields or window glass from motor vehicles, using hand tools to remove screws from frames holding glass.
- Replace all moldings, clips, windshield wipers, or other parts that were removed prior to glass replacement or repair.