Bus & Truck Mechanics & Diesel Engine Specialists
Description : Diagnose, adjust, repair, or overhaul buses and trucks, or maintain and repair any type of diesel engines. Includes mechanics working primarily with automobile or marine diesel engines.
JobTitles : Bus Mechanic, Diesel Mechanic, Diesel Technician, Fleet Mechanic, General Repair Mechanic, Mechanic, Service Technician, Trailer Mechanic, Transit Mechanic, Truck Mechanic
- Inspect brake systems, steering mechanisms, wheel bearings, and other important parts to ensure that they are in proper operating condition.
- Use handtools such as screwdrivers, pliers, wrenches, pressure gauges, and precision instruments, as well as power tools such as pneumatic wrenches, lathes, welding equipment, and jacks and hoists.
- Adjust and reline brakes, align wheels, tighten bolts and screws, and reassemble equipment.
- Examine and adjust protective guards, loose bolts, and specified safety devices.
- Perform routine maintenance such as changing oil, checking batteries, and lubricating equipment and machinery.
- Test drive trucks and buses to diagnose malfunctions or to ensure that they are working properly.
- Raise trucks, buses, and heavy parts or equipment using hydraulic jacks or hoists.
- Attach test instruments to equipment, and read dials and gauges to diagnose malfunctions.
- Rebuild gas or diesel engines.
- Inspect and verify dimensions and clearances of parts to ensure conformance to factory specifications.