Musical Instrument Repairers & Tuners
Description : Repair percussion, stringed, reed, or wind instruments. May specialize in one area, such as piano tuning.
JobTitles : Piano Tuner, Piano Technician, Luthier, Banjo Repair Person, Fretted String Instrument Repairer, Guitar Builder, Guitar Repairer, Mandolin Repair Person, Stringed Instrument Repairer, Band Instrument Repair Technician
- Play instruments to evaluate their sound quality and to locate any defects.
- Adjust string tensions to tune instruments, using hand tools and electronic tuning devices.
- Disassemble instruments and parts for repair and adjustment.
- Inspect instruments to locate defects, and to determine their value or the level of restoration required.
- Repair cracks in wood or metal instruments, using pinning wire, lathes, fillers, clamps, or soldering irons.
- Reassemble instruments following repair, using hand tools and power tools and glue, hair, yarn, resin, or clamps, and lubricate instruments as necessary.
- Compare instrument pitches with tuning tool pitches in order to tune instruments.
- String instruments, and adjust trusses and bridges of instruments to obtain specified string tensions and heights.
- Repair or replace musical instrument parts and components, such as strings, bridges, felts, and keys, using hand and power tools.
- Polish instruments, using rags and polishing compounds, buffing wheels, or burnishing tools.