Maintenance & Repair Workers, General
Description : Perform work involving the skills of two or more maintenance or craft occupations to keep machines, mechanical equipment, or the structure of an establishment in repair. Duties may involve pipe fitting; boiler making; insulating; welding; machining; carpentry; repairing electrical or mechanical equipment; installing, aligning, and balancing new equipment; and repairing buildings, floors, or stairs.
JobTitles : Maintenance Technician, Maintenance Mechanic, Maintenance Electrician, Maintenance Supervisor, Maintenance Engineer, Process Technician, Equipment Engineering Technician, Building Maintenance Mechanic, Building Mechanic, Facilities Technician
- Use tools ranging from common hand and power tools, such as hammers, hoists, saws, drills, and wrenches, to precision measuring instruments and electrical and electronic testing devices.
- Perform routine preventive maintenance to ensure that machines continue to run smoothly, building systems operate efficiently, or the physical condition of buildings does not deteriorate.
- Inspect, operate, or test machinery or equipment to diagnose machine malfunctions.
- Diagnose mechanical problems and determine how to correct them, checking blueprints, repair manuals, or parts catalogs, as necessary.
- Assemble, install, or repair wiring, electrical or electronic components, pipe systems, plumbing, machinery, or equipment.
- Inspect drives, motors, and belts, check fluid levels, replace filters, or perform other maintenance actions, following checklists.
- Clean or lubricate shafts, bearings, gears, or other parts of machinery.
- Adjust functional parts of devices or control instruments, using hand tools, levels, plumb bobs, or straightedges.
- Repair or replace defective equipment parts, using hand tools and power tools, and reassemble equipment.
- Record type and cost of maintenance or repair work.