Rolling Machine Setters, Operators, & Tenders, Metal & Plastic
Description : Set up, operate, or tend machines to roll steel or plastic forming bends, beads, knurls, rolls, or plate or to flatten, temper, or reduce gauge of material.
JobTitles : Mill Operator, Rolling Mill Operator, Roughing Mill Operator, Calender Operator, Breakdown Mill Operator, Cold Mill Operator, Controller, High Frequency Mill Operator, Piercer Operator, Roll Form Operator
- Adjust and correct machine set-ups to reduce thicknesses, reshape products, and eliminate product defects.
- Monitor machine cycles and mill operation to detect jamming and to ensure that products conform to specifications.
- Examine, inspect, and measure raw materials and finished products to verify conformance to specifications.
- Read rolling orders, blueprints, and mill schedules to determine setup specifications, work sequences, product dimensions, and installation procedures.
- Manipulate controls and observe dial indicators to monitor, adjust, and regulate speeds of machine mechanisms.
- Start operation of rolling and milling machines to flatten, temper, form, and reduce sheet metal sections and to produce steel strips.
- Set distance points between rolls, guides, meters, and stops, according to specifications.
- Thread or feed sheets or rods through rolling mechanisms, or start and control mechanisms that automatically feed steel into rollers.
- Position, align, and secure arbors, spindles, coils, mandrels, dies, and slitting knives.
- Direct and train other workers to change rolls, operate mill equipment, remove coils and cobbles, and band and load material.