Pourers & Casters, Metal
Description : Operate hand-controlled mechanisms to pour and regulate the flow of molten metal into molds to produce castings or ingots.
JobTitles : Iron Pourer, Metal Handler, Direct Chill Caster (DC Caster), Casting Machine Operator, Furnace Operator, Melter - Caster, Caster, Caster Operator, Die Cast Operator (DCO), General Foundry Worker
- Collect samples, or signal workers to sample metal for analysis.
- Pour and regulate the flow of molten metal into molds and forms to produce ingots or other castings, using ladles or hand-controlled mechanisms.
- Read temperature gauges and observe color changes, adjusting furnace flames, torches, or electrical heating units as necessary to melt metal to specifications.
- Examine molds to ensure they are clean, smooth, and properly coated.
- Position equipment such as ladles, grinding wheels, pouring nozzles, or crucibles, or signal other workers to position equipment.
- Skim slag or remove excess metal from ingots or equipment, using hand tools, strainers, rakes, or burners, collecting scrap for recycling.
- Turn valves to circulate water through cores, or spray water on filled molds to cool and solidify metal.
- Add metal to molds to compensate for shrinkage.
- Pull levers to lift ladle stoppers and to allow molten steel to flow into ingot molds to specified heights.
- Load specified amounts of metal and flux into furnaces or clay crucibles.