Model Makers, Metal & Plastic
Description : Set up and operate machines, such as lathes, milling and engraving machines, and jig borers to make working models of metal or plastic objects. Includes template makers.
JobTitles : Model Maker, Machinist, Tool and Die Maker, Tool Maker, Molding Technician, Metal Model Maker, Catalytic Converter Special Build Prototype, Fabricator, Prototype Special Build, Computer Numerical Control Machinist (CNC Machinist)
- Study blueprints, drawings, and sketches to determine material dimensions, required equipment, and operations sequences.
- Set up and operate machines such as lathes, drill presses, punch presses, or bandsaws to fabricate prototypes or models.
- Inspect and test products to verify conformance to specifications, using precision measuring instruments or circuit testers.
- Cut, shape, and form metal parts, using lathes, power saws, snips, power brakes and shears, files, and mallets.
- Lay out and mark reference points and dimensions on materials, using measuring instruments and drawing or scribing tools.
- Drill, countersink, and ream holes in parts and assemblies for bolts, screws, and other fasteners, using power tools.
- Grind, file, and sand parts to finished dimensions.
- Record specifications, production operations, and final dimensions of models for use in establishing operating standards and procedures.
- Rework or alter component model or parts as required to ensure that products meet standards.
- Align, fit, and join parts, using bolts and screws or by welding or gluing.