Printing Press Operators
Description : Set up and operate digital, letterpress, lithographic, flexographic, gravure, or other printing machines. Includes short-run offset printing presses.
JobTitles : 1st Pressman, 2nd Pressman, Flexographic Press Operator, Offset Pressman, Press Leader, Press Operator, Pressman, Printer, Printing Press Operator, Printing Pressman
- Collect and inspect random samples during print runs to identify any necessary adjustments.
- Examine job orders to determine quantities to be printed, stock specifications, colors, or special printing instructions.
- Verify that paper and ink meet the specifications for a given job.
- Start presses and pull proofs to check for ink coverage and density, alignment, and registration.
- Change press plates, blankets, or cylinders, as required.
- Obtain or mix inks and fill ink fountains.
- Feed paper through press cylinders and adjust feed and tension controls.
- Load presses with paper and make necessary adjustments, according to paper size.
- Secure printing plates to printing units and adjust tolerances.
- Clean ink fountains, plates, or printing unit cylinders when press runs are completed.