Print Binding & Finishing Workers
Description : Bind books and other publications or finish printed products by hand or machine. May set up binding and finishing machines.
JobTitles : Tasks | Tools & Technology | Knowledge | Skills | Abilities | Work Activities | Work Context | Job Zone | Interests | Work Styles | Work Values | Related Occupations | Wages & Employment | Job Openings | Additional Information
- Apply color to edges of signatures using brushes, pads, or atomizers.
- Bind new books, using hand tools such as bone folders, knives, hammers, or brass binding tools.
- Compress sewed or glued signatures, using hand presses or smashing machines.
- Cut binder boards to specified dimensions, using board shears, hand cutters, or cutting machines.
- Cut cover material to specified dimensions, fitting and gluing material to binder boards by hand or machine.
- Design original or special bindings for limited editions or other custom binding projects.
- Form book bodies by folding and sewing printed sheets to form signatures and assembling signatures in numerical order.
- Imprint or emboss lettering, designs, or numbers on book covers, using gold, silver, or colored foil, and stamping machines.
- Insert book bodies in devices that form back edges of books into convex shapes and produce grooves that facilitate cover attachment.
- Maintain records, such as daily production records, using specified forms.