Description : Sew, join, reinforce, or finish, usually with needle and thread, a variety of manufactured items. Includes weavers and stitchers.
JobTitles : Custom Clothier, Dressmaker, Designer, Seamstress, Coutierier, Alteration Specialist, Custom Designer, Custom Seamstress
- Sew, join, reinforce, or finish parts of articles, such as garments, books, mattresses, toys, and wigs, using needles and thread or other materials.
- Trim excess threads or edges of parts, using scissors or knives.
- Select thread, twine, cord, or yarn to be used, and thread needles.
- Draw and cut patterns according to specifications.
- Fold, twist, stretch, or drape material, and secure articles in preparation for sewing.
- Smooth seams with heated irons, flat bones, or rubbing sticks.
- Measure and align parts, fasteners, or trimmings, following seams, edges, or markings on parts.
- Use different sewing techniques such as felling, tacking, basting, embroidery, and fagoting.
- Sew buttonholes, or add lace or other trimming.
- Wax thread by drawing it through a ball of wax.